, Australia (PressExposure) May 06, 2009 -- With winter fast approaching, now is a great time to decide how to best manage your health over the months ahead. To give yourself the best chance against colds and flu [http://blackmores.com.au/Conditions/Detail.aspx?ConditionId=1342] this season, Blackmores believes that it is vital to strengthen your bodyâs immune system, and to take simple steps to stay healthy.
âThe old adage of prevention is better than cure is certainly true when it comes to managing your health. In flu season, itâs important to maintain a healthy balanced lifestyle, take steps to strengthen your immune response and to limit your exposure to the virus,â said Blackmores Director of Education Pam Stone.
Blackmores 10 point plan for a healthier winter includes these simple lifestyle steps to aid immunity.
1. Eat well â with fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, eggs and low fat dairy products to give your body the nutrients it needs to stay healthy in winter. Include antioxidants such as vitamin C, and foods containing zinc and garlic.
2. Supplement support â top up your everyday nutrient needs with natural supplements specifically designed to support the bodyâs immune function with ingredients such as lactoferrin, garlic, vitamin C and zinc.
3. Drink plenty of water â at least eight glasses a day will keep you well hydrated.
4. Stay rested â to give your body the chance to repair itself and fight off attacks from nasty viruses and germs.
5. Manage stress â excess stress is known to have a negative effect on the bodyâs immune system.
6. Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol.
7. Exercise regularly â to keep your body in peak condition and to help combat the first signs of colds or flu [http://blackmores.com.au/Conditions/Detail.aspx?ConditionId=1342], but donât overdo it. Regular, moderate exercise is best.
8. Dodge germs - Wash your hands regularly and avoid rubbing your eyes or biting your nails, as this is an easy way to pick up germs.
9. Cover up - Cover your mouth when sneezing and coughing to curb the spread of the virus â and dispose of tissues thoughtfully!
10. Keep your distance â Stay at home if you are sick to limit the number of people who could come in contact with you. And conversely, try to minimise the contact you have with people with flu-like symptoms.
For more information about staying healthy this flu season or to speak to a qualified Naturopath, visit Blackmores.com.au, contact the free Blackmores Advisory Service on 1800 803 760 or speak with your local healthcare professional.
Blackmores has a range of products designed to support the bodyâs immune function, and would recommend the following:
ImmunoDefenceâ¢ (RRP $39.95). Contains lactoferrin which helps to enhance immune cell activity, which helps protect your body against everyday viruses, bacteria and infection.
Echinacea Ace + Zinc (RRP $13.95 â 30 tabs) Provides a complete formula designed to help support the immune system.
Bio C 1000 (RRP $10.95 â 31 tabs) A high potency, low-acid formulation which helps to reduce the severity and duration of colds and is important for healthy immune function.
Daycare Defenceâ¢ (RRP $26.95) is a great tasting probiotic powder for kids that helps support a normal immune system and may help reduce the severity and incidence of colds and helps reduce the frequency and duration of diarrhoea.
If you have any flu-like symptoms, it is important to seek advice from your healthcare professional.