Yorkshire, England United Kingdom (PressExposure) January 02, 2012 -- The oldest parts of Bishops' House were built in the 1500s. It's one of the oldest timber-framed building in Sheffield, typical of a large farmhouse or small manor house from that time. There are only three other surviving buildings of a similar date in Sheffield; Carbrook Hall (now the Carbrook Inn), Broomhall and the Queen's Head pub (previously known as the Hall in the Ponds).
In 1910 Armitage, a local historian, was one of the first people to refer to the house as Bishops' House in print. He acknowledged that there was no evidence for the direct connection with the Blythe bishops. However the Blythe's who owned the house may have been from another branch of the family.
William Blythe died in 1665 having received a free pardon from Charles II for his part in the English Civil War against the Royalists. A copy of the inventory produced on his death also survives. It shows more furnishings than in the previous list, and extra items including books, time-pieces and close stools (toilets) appear. He also possessed more silver than his father. Like his father, he combined farming and industry and his scythes were sold all over the north of England. His gravestone can be seen in the porch of Norton Parish Church.
The property which has very rarely been fully investigated is full of atmosphere and charm, You can actually feel how it was to live in the years gone by in this secluded gem.
The staff told us some of the previous reported activity which includes the eerie sighting of a woman in white who so tragically committed suicide by cutting her own throat. There is a box which is kept in an upstairs room (on full display) which reportedly used to stay locked but it appears to unlock itself even when there is no key left to do this. Banging has been heard on the windows, cold spots, hot spots, and voices heard from adjoining empty rooms.