Yorkshire , England United Kingdom (PressExposure) November 07, 2011 -- Whitley Hall dates from the 1580s, Thomas Parker was the founder of this fantastic old dwelling previously known as Launder House. In 1622 Thomas Shiercliffe became the owner of the Whitley Hall estate which beside the Hall also included a corn mill, dovecote, smelting house, eight fields, two acres of woodland and four cottages. The Hall remained the property of the Shiercliffe family until the early part of the 19th century.
A local legend states that Mary, Queen of Scots, spent a night at Whitley Hall in the 1580s while in captivity at Sheffield Castle. This rumour was first reported by Jonathan Eastwood in his "History of Ecclesfield" of 1862. However there is no documentary evidence to back up the claim.
The hall has also been a school and turned into private lets over the years. Now though its been transformed into a 16th century ivy-clad mansion set in beautiful gardens with mature trees and two small lakes, However beneath the beautiful exterior lies many ghost stories and sightings including ...
A man who appears at the bar of the hotel but disappears when asked what he would like to drink, there is also a lady spirit seen in the same area area of the bar wearing clothes from a time gone by. A maid is seen throughout the building often catching peope unaware that she is there and also she then disappears. Unused bedrooms are often found with disturbed bedding and pillows on the floor, guests are woken from their sleep by unseen hands shaking the bed, or more frighteningly shaking them from their sleep. A child spirit has been known to leave drawings on notepads that are in the bedrooms.
Many more things happen at this grand hotel and we cannot wait to get to investigate it. We will be investigating the three most haunted bedrooms as well as access to most of the building. Come and join us if you dare.