Atlanta, GA (PressExposure) July 10, 2009 -- I don't know about you...
But I get super-excited when I hear the phrase "Healthy Eating Can be Simple...."
What? Healthy eating tips that are simple? Does that really exist?
Just read these 6 Healthy Dining Out Tips and let me know what YOU think:
1. PASS ON THE BREAD. Think of this: If you were dining at a restaurant that didn't offer free bread, you wouldn't order it, would you? My point is you don't need it- plus, your body will love you for passing on the 300+ calorie splurge.
2. SALAD DRESSINGS AND SAUCES ON THE SIDE. Don't allow the chef to decide how much of these you should eat, because they are going to over-do it every single time to enhance the taste. Note: 1 simple 3 oz of barbeque sauce can contain 300mg of sodium and add up to nearly 200 calories. The less of these you can consume, the better your pants will fit.
3. IF YOU FOLLOW #1 and #2, WHAT IS ELIMINATED RIGHT OFF THE BAT? You can't dip the bread into the extra sauce! This is a habit that you need to break. One simple, harmless piece of bread soaked in the buttery-lemon sauce. Get ready for this: It can add up to 400+ calories and 300+mg sodium (depending on the sauce).
4. HAVE YOUR MEAL PREPARED WITH NO BUTTER. Most times, the chef will prepare your meal with butter to enhance the flavor.
Be careful, they will also prepare your veggies with butter to make them "savoring"
Savoring is a fancy term for "blocking your arteries." I know it's tough to give up at first....just do it little at a time, and soon enough your body will dislike the taste of butter!
5. HIGH CALORIE, SUGARY BEVERAGES. I am not promoting alcohol, just being realistic. The fact is you are going to have the drink and nobody is stopping you. However, can you please have a drink that is low in calories and sugar? Skip the fancy umbrella drink and have a vodka with club soda and you can flavor it by adding a few lemons. Yummmmmy- now you have lemonade! Or add lime, oranges, or any other fruit you enjoy- and your body will love you for not dousing it with sugar and calories.
6. SPLIT MEALS. How many times are you forcing the last 5 bites? That makes NO SENSE AT ALL. Just because you don't want to waste the food, you shove it down your throat so it can make you fatter! Say that to yourself over and over, because that is exactly what you are doing. Instead, order a small salad each, and split a dinner. After drinks and a meal, you literally stand a chance of 500 instead of 1,000 calories. Congrats on your new healthy habit- AND your new body.