Panchkula, India (PressExposure) June 22, 2009 -- In the computer industry, Internet security refers to techniques for ensuring that data stored in a computer cannot be read or compromised by any individuals without authorization. Most security measures involve data encryption and passwords. Data encryption is the translation of data into a form that is unintelligible without a deciphering mechanism. A password is a secret word or phrase that gives a user access to a particular program or system.
Given that, there are a number of precautions you can take to make yourself, your business and the visitors to your site as safe as possible. Here are some tactics proven to enhance your Internet security:
1. Virus Protection:- Make sure you have the latest virus updates installed on your computer.
2. Spam Blocker:- I have a spam blocker that I use with Outlook called Cloudmark Desktop that does a great job of helping me train my email program to recognize spam.
3. Email Address Spam:- One of the easiest ways your email address gets added to massive lists of spammed email addresses is by including a clear link to your email address on your website.
4. Discussion List Spam:- If your email address must appear on any discussion lists, blog posts, or forum postings, use a free email address like the ones available at Gmail or Yahoo. In this way, you protect your "real" email address from being picked up by spambots.
5. Firewalls:- A firewall blocks all "roads and cars" through authorized ports on your computer, thus restricting unfettered access. A stateful firewall is a more secure form of firewall, and system administrators often combine a proxy firewall with a packet-filtering firewall to create a highly secure system.
Some programmers can also create programs with intentions of destroying the computers data by using tricks. Such of this are known as viruses, Trojan horses, worms and spy ware.
â¢ Worms are software programs which are able to replicate themselves over a computer network and in turn perform malicious actions. â¢ Viruses are software programs which are able to log into the personal files on a computer it has infected resulting in removing all of them, leading to serious side effects to the computer. â¢ Trojan horses are software programs which disguise to be carrying out one thing, but in reality snoops out your personal data, or damaging it. These types hide their identity or true intentions and are usually not easy to detect. â¢ Malware are classified as Trojans with a limited payload and are usually not detected by most antivirus software.
The upside is that there are many effective Anti-Virus software available in the market to fight the threats mentioned above. These can be purchased from vendors or bought online. Caution should be taken in the selection of anti-virus software, as some programs are not very affective in detecting and destroying viruses or Malware. Also ensure that your Anti-Virus data base is current and up to date.