Louisville, KY (PressExposure) September 11, 2006 -- More kids go online daily then every before. Kids are surfing for homework help, chatting with friends, playing games or they are just doing what kids do, being curious.
Keeping your children safe online can be much easier then keeping them safe outside. All it takes is some good Internet Parenting. By this, I mean a parent that is aware of what their kids are doing online and a parent that has the computer out of the bedroom and in an open area. A good Internet Parent will check up on who their kids are chatting with and review any Internet sites their child may be part of such as MySpace, Teenspot, Bebo, or any other social networking site.
Your kids Online safety depends on you, the parent. You can set rules, install monitoring software, limit your child's time online but if you are not actively involved with their Internet usage you will never know if they are putting themselves in danger. Here are 5 simple rules that can make a world of difference in keeping your child safe online.
1. Put the computer in an open area like the kitchen or living room.
2. Install monitoring, blocking software.
3. Get involved with your child's Internet usage and let them know you are involved by reviewing their activity.
4. Talk to your child about the dangers of the Internet.
5. Teach them how to search safely. Setup Google safe search or use Yahooligans to search the Internet.
Parents, get involved with your kids online usage, their safety and their innocense depends on it.