Grand Canyon, AZ (PressExposure) April 15, 2011 -- "Mad" Mike Hughes, an aspiring, amateur daredevil, plans to jump his home-made rocket ship over the Grand Canyon on Labor Day, September 5, 2011. The stunt will accomplish what Evil Knievel failed to do during his attempted jump of the Grand Canyon in 1974. Since 2007, Mike has been building the X-2 SkyLimo, a "super-heated, steam-powered" one-passenger rocket in the backyard of his Redlands, California home.
"I've been working on the SkyLimo for quite a while and now I'm happy to report that all system are go!" says Mike. "The world has waited 36 years to see someone complete this jump and I'm gonna make it happen. There's been numerous technical, financial and governmental obstacles placed in my way, but we've got past each and every one. It's time to get to the launch pad and blast-off on this JOURNEY OF A LIFETIME!"
Mike hand-built the rocket and received guidance from an impressive group of rocket engineers, including a consultation by Bob Truax who was the original designer of Evil Kneivel's famous X-2 SkyCycle. "There is no doubt, technically, that this rocket will make the jump," says Mike. "The only question is whether I'll be able to hang on and what type of condition I'll be in on the other side of that canyon!"
Mike Hughes has a rich and interesting resume that makes him uniquely positioned to complete this historic feat:
- Guiness Book of World Records Holder - Longest Jump in a Limousine (2002)
- NASCAR Insider - Crew Chief (Craftman Series), Top Sheet Metal Fabricator (Busch Series), Racing Innovator (performed first vinyl wrap in NASCAR and developed other advancements)
- Outspoken "Lightning Rod" - California gubernatorial candidate in 2010 - Ran on the platform of "radicalizing" the government, which includes the pardon of Charles Manson and requiring registered lobbyists to wear pink suits.
- Controversial Author - "What Does a Limo Driver Know about NASCAR"? - Expose' on the secret, inner workings of NASCAR, including what really killed Dale Earnhardt, why NASCAR sabotages racial minority drivers and the bi-sexually of a past NASCAR champion.
- International Playboy (retired) - Dated actresses and models, including Playmate of the Year.
- National Motorcycle Ice Racing Champion (1979)
- Hospital Regular - Back broken twice, 14 other broken bones
- Professional Limo Driver - To pay the bills.
Mike encourages all Americans to strive for excellence in their lives. "Our country was built on men and women who gave us challenging ideas, inspired us with intellectual insight and motivated us to achieve success. That's what makes our country great! Get out of your box and do something fantastic for us all!"