Eastport, NY (PressExposure) April 09, 2008 -- Medicine may be considered a traditional remedy for most health concerns, but the latest wonder treatment which is being offered to patients is honey. Not just any honey though. Recent studies indicate that a particular type of honey called "Manuka Honey", seems to have the most healing properties out of all the various types of honey available. Manuka Honey is being used on patients in hospitals to reduce their chances of contracting the MRSA super-bug and to minimize wound inflammation after surgery.
Scientists and Medical Professionals have found that Manuka Honey is especially effective for dressing wounds. Other research has found it can even fight gum disease, ease digestive problems and soothe sore throats. All types of honey contains hydrogen peroxide, a substance once used as a wound disinfectant in hospitals. It comes from an enzyme that bees add to nectar. It also contains the enzyme 'glucose oxidase', which boosts its anti-bacterial properties. This was recognized by the ancient Egyptians and Greeks who used honey to help heal burns and sores.
Manuka Honey, which is made by bees that collect pollen from a plant indigenous to New Zealand called the manuka bush (Leptospermum scoparium) has other ingredients which appear to have added health benefits. Frank Buonanotte, CEO of Honeymark International which is a manufacturer of health care products containing Manuka Honey, refers to these additional health benefits as the "Unique Manuka Factor" of UMF. For example, Manuka Honey with a UMF10 rating is thought to be equivalent to a 10% solution of a standard antiseptic.
- Manuka Honey has no known side effects;
- Manuka Honey has natural antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral, antioxidant, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties;
- Manuka Honey creates a moist healing environment that allows new skin cells to grow across a healing wound flush with the surface of the wound, preventing deformity of the skin and scaring;
- Manuka Honey rapidly clears infection by destroying bacteria;
- Manuka Honey repairs damaged skin and generates new skin growth;
- Manuka Honey hastens the healing process;
- Manuka Honey eliminates malodor by destroying the bacteria that cause it;
- Manuka Honey can destroy antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria such as MRSA and VRE;
- The viscosity of Manuka Honey provides a protective barrier to prevent wounds from becoming infected;
- Manuka Honey causes scabs and dead skin cells to lift off the surface of the wound, leaving a clean healthy wound bed in which re-growth of tissue can occur;
- Manuka Honey stimulates the growth of tissue involved in the healing process;
- Manuka Honey stimulates the formation of new blood capillaries and the growth of fibroblasts that replace the connective tissue of the deeper layer of the skin and produce the collagen fibers that give strength to the repair;
- Manuka Honey has an anti-inflammatory action that relieves pain;
- Manuka Honey has antifungal properties that cure ringworm and other fungal conditions;
- Manuka Honey is all-natural and organic.