Johannesburg, South Africa (PressExposure) November 11, 2009 -- Maximising your holiday budget with cheap car rental
When going on holiday, the last thing one wants to spend time worrying about is car rental, especially when that time could be spent discovering new and exciting places. Cheap cars are easy to find if you know where to look.
Seven tips for finding cheap car rental
1. Plan your holiday well in advance If you want to find cheap car hire, it's important to know exactly what your rental vehicle requirements are before approaching car rental providers.
There are several questions that should be asked: For what period of time is the rental car required? What is the most convenient collection point? What type of terrain will the vehicle be used for? Will there be more than one driver?
Once these questions have been answered, you will have a better idea of what type of vehicle best suits your holiday requirements. Understanding your rental vehicle requirements will also help to prevent you from being tempted into choosing an expensive car rental package with unnecessary features.
2. Choose your vehicle wisely When booking a rental vehicle, be sure to choose a vehicle that will match your holiday needs. If you will predominantly be travelling short distances in a city centre, choose a smaller vehicle that is light on fuel - this can save a lot of money over the duration of your holiday.
South Africa has many open areas, including game reserves and national parks, where a heavy-duty 4X4 is required to navigate the terrain. It is recommended that you choose a discount car that will suit your travel requirements in order to get the most out of your holiday. Car rental companies such as First Car Rental offer a selection of cheap cars and are able to provide the ideal vehicle for any type of holiday.
3. Take advantage of special deals Ask rental companies whether any special deals are on offer. One can often reduce the price of cheap car rentals even further by simply checking if there are any current special offers. If your vehicle requirements are not too specific, you could switch to a car with an applicable discount.
See First Car Rental's great special offers to save significantly. First Car Rental customers can also make use of our Premier Rewards loyalty card, which gives regular customers 7% back in rewards.
4. Understand the terms and conditions of your rental agreement Read the fine print on any car rental agreement before confirming, and make sure that you understand its terms and conditions. Check how long your vehicle will be held if your flight is delayed or you get stuck in traffic, and whether there is a late collection fee.
It is also advisable to check what time of day is best to return the car. Some cheap car rental companies charge a full extra day's rental fee if a vehicle is returned after its allocated time.
5. Watch out for unexpected costs Before signing an agreement, ask the rental agency what additional charges may apply. Is there a drop-off charge? How much does it cost to add an additional driver to the agreement? Is there an additional charge for roadside assistance?
Decide whether it is necessary to include insurance. Many major credit cards provide users with car rental cover if they are used to pay for the transaction. However, it is essential to know exactly what eventualities are covered by an insurance policy. A holiday can be ruined by an car accident if one does not have adequate insurance.
6. Fill up the vehicle's petrol tank before returning it Some rental companies have petrol plans that charge customers for the amount of petrol that is used. These plans often charge more for fuel than a regular petrol station would. Refilling your petrol tank before returning it will ensure that you only pay for the petrol that you have actually used.
7. Call back closer to the collection date Booking a rental car well in advance is a good decision. However, it is wise to contact the rental company a week before collection to ask whether there are any price reductions or new specials that may be applicable.
First Car Rental specialises in providing some of the cheapest car rental prices possible. We offer a large selection of cheap cars. Moreover, no matter where in South Africa you are planning to travel, we have a rental location nearby. Contact First Car Rental at to get an online quote or to rent the ideal cheap car for your South African holiday.