Flint, MI (PressExposure) April 25, 2008 -- With skin cancer being the most common form of cancer in the United States, and one in every five Americans developing skin cancer, the need for finding alternative ways to look tanned and radiant grows.
As National Skin Care Awareness Month launches, Flint resident and Consultant with The Body Shop At Home, Lisa Robbin Young is letting the community know there are ways to get a summer glow without putting yourself at risk.
According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, more than 90 percent of all skin cancers are caused by exposure of the sun. Young says there are many different methods with cosmetics that can help individuals obtain that glow of a tan - without excessive exposure to the summer sun's glare.
"Everybody enjoys having a healthy glow during the summer months. The good news is that there are ways to achieve that gorgeous glow without exposing yourself to excessive sun rays," Young said. "The popularity of tanning alternatives shows that people are moving towards a more healthy, safe way to get a bronze skin tone."
Young suggests the following tanning alternatives for an all-day glow:
* Sun Lustre Bronzer - Create a sun-kissed glow with a little bronzing! The technique is easy; sweep a Sun Lustre Brush across the palette, then apply to the face where the sun would hit you naturally: the forehead, nose, cheeks, chin and eyelids. Remember to blend the color onto your neck and dÃ©colletage for seamless blending.
* Body & Leg Shine - For a beautiful finish and a sunless bronzed look, these easy-to-use, wash-off products are perfect for the beach, poolside bar and sunset parties. Smooth and blend onto bare skin for a slimmer, more toned appearance and a sheer, golden glow.
* Shimmer Sun Gel - Apply a dot of this gel to your finger, then sweep across the brow bone and along the cheekbones for instant sun-kissed glamour.
* Brush on Bronze - Instantly revive a dull and tired complexion, and create a sizzling, safe, sun-kissed look that suits all skin tones 24/7. Swirl a Face & Body Brush into the pot then blend over the face, neck and dÃ©colletage, for a shimmering glow.
* Brilliance Powder - Apply Bronze Brilliance Powder to the cheeks, shoulders and dÃ©colletage for a blast of Caribbean sun shimmer, or dust into hair for sun-kissed highlights, or apply along the center of the legs, to showcase those fabulous pins in your sexy summer dress.
* Shimmer Waves - This is the absolute make-up must-have: wear at the beach, poolside, and summer parties. Use shades alone to highlight cheeks, mixed together for a sexy summer smoky eye, or sweep a Blusher Brush across all shades and dust over eyelids, cheeks and face for rich sun-kissed Copacabana golden glow.
"It is important to protect your skin from the ravages of the sun and the heat," Young said. "Bronzers are designed to give you that glow and shimmer, without risking the health of your skin. From the poolside to backyard picnics, you will feel your best at all times with cosmetics designed just for you."
The Body Shop At Home is the direct sales business of beauty retailer The Body Shop, as famous for its ethical approach as it is for its naturally-driven skin care, make-up, body care, and fragrance. The Body Shop At Home Consultants, like Young, bring the unique products to local residents' homes for "Make Me Fabulous," "Foot Fun," "Fabulous Face," and "Spa Experience" at-home parties.