Use of Chemical Pesticides on School Grounds Gets a Failing Grade

Dallas, Texas (PressExposure) April 24, 2009 -- While chemical pesticides are okay in certain instances, schools using them to treat ant infestations are needlessly putting students directly in harm's way. When we send our children off to school in the morning, we like to believe we're sending them to a safe environment for their higher learning. Nobody would think an ant problem in a school could have an impact on the health of their child, but sadly, chemical pesticides have been linked to serious illness and even death in school-aged children in the United States. Fire ants sting more children every year than all other insects combined, partly because ants are so fascinating for young children to watch. Although most children recover easily from stings, nobody wants to see their child bitten by an insect. However, when an ant infestation in a school is treated with chemicals, children are at much greater risk of becoming sick from the "cure" than any insect sting. There are several reasons for this, including the following: • Children have a very rapid respiratory rate; they take in more air per unit of body weight than adults. Their organs are also still developing and are less able to filter out toxic chemicals. As an example, human lungs don't develop fully until the sixth to eighth year of life. This means young children are extremely vulnerable to harmful effects of pollutants and pesticides on their respiratory systems. • Pesticides can cause asthma as well as trigger asthma attacks in any child already suffering from the disease. • Pesticide exposure can cause shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, eye irritation and headaches in children. According to a study conducted in California, 87% of the 46 school districts polled used one or more of 27 very hazardous pesticides which can cause cancer, act as nerve toxins and may affect the reproductive system. In a heartbreaking compilation of five stories released by the Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides, an otherwise healthy young girl in California is believed to have died as a result of exposure to nerve-poisoning pesticides. While some instances of pest infestations require chemicals to control, schools are not the place for harsh insecticides. In this day and age, peanut butter isn't allowed on the playground, but toxic chemicals are still being sprayed around schools to get rid of pests. For an ant infestation in or around a school, natural ant bait is the ideal solution. A product containing boric acid will kill most types of ants including stinging red imported fire ants, yet it is less toxic to humans than regular table salt. An added benefit to using ant bait is that the poison is carried by workers back to the queen which eventually kills the entire colony.

About Green Star Group

Manufactured by Green Star Group Ltd., Uncle Albert's Super Smart Ant Bait is made from boric acid and kills ants by disrupting their ability to digest food. Available in gel and liquid forms, this natural ant bait is safe to use in schools because it will not harm humans.

Press Release Source: http://PressExposure.com/PR/Green_Star_Group.html

Press Release Submitted On: April 23, 2009 at 7:57 pm
This article has been viewed 19805 time(s).