Bringing Your Pet to Mexico Just Takes Proper Planning

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (PressExposure) May 17, 2009 -- Many people wouldn't dream of traveling or moving to Mexico without the family pet. After all, it's a member of the family too! You can bring your pet or pets with you, but you must do some planning before hand.

If you want to bring your pet to Mexico, you'll need two pieces of paper. The first is a vaccination certificate to ensure your pet has been vaccinated against rabies, hepatitis, pip and leptospirosis. The second is an office health certificate that must be issued by a veterinarian no more than 72 hours before entering Mexico. Your professional Mexico Real Estate Agent can give you more information.

You can bring two large pets (dog or cat) with you. It is possible to bring more, but you must obtain permission from the Mexican consulate. You'll need to contact the one nearest you. There is no quarantine period for pets entering Mexico. Make sure to check with the airlines if you're flying into Mexico. Often airlines have restrictions on size, weight, type of carrier, etc. Be sure to contact your airline and plan ahead.

Owning a pet in Mexico is much the same as owning a pet in any other country. Most dog owners in Mexico have their domestic help care for their dog. You'll seldom see an owner out walking their dog. Make sure your dog's caregiver is aware of your dog's exercise and feeding schedules. Also make sure your dog is comfortable with its caregiver.

Stray dogs and cats are common in Mexico and they carry many diseases. To protect your dog or cat make sure they have the right vaccinations and they are administered correctly. It's also important to treat your pets for parasites. Veterinarians abound in Mexico and they do make house calls. Again, ask your local professional Mexico Realtor for recommendations or referrals.

When your pet leaves Mexico, the same documents are required as when they entered. You'll need a certificate of vaccination and a certificate of health from a veterinarian. You will also need to get an export license in order for your dog or cat to leave the country. Your pet will undergo a visual inspection and there is no cost for this license.

While the process may seem drawn out, it is in place to protect all pets – in and out of Mexico. For those who would never consider moving without their pet, it just requires a bit of pre-planning and some local information from your Mexico real estate agent.

Call us today:

Realty Executives Mexican Caribbean Avenida 5th y 40th Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico In Playa del Carmen, Mexico: 984-879-4339 or 984-803-0710 In Mexico City 55-8525-9035 In USA Toll Free: 1-800-471-0608 ext. 1 In Los Angeles,USA: 310-492-5115 In Calgary, Canada: 403-668-0704 In London, England: 0207-078-7677 US Fax, (415) 354-3460 Mexico Fax (551) 084-2852 Email:

Author : Tom Budniak

About Realty Executives Mexican Caribbean is a complete guide to Puerto Vallarta Real Estate, Rental Property, Condos in Mexico. [] provides Vacation Rentals Properties in Cancun, Riviera Maya, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Vallarta in Mexico. Contact Tom Budniak for Mexico Real Estate, Vacation Rentals in Mexico at []

Press Release Source:

Press Release Submitted On: June 16, 2009 at 11:41 pm
This article has been viewed 5124 time(s).