Sandy, UT (PressExposure) August 20, 2013 -- Local businesses in Sandy, Utah teamed up last weekend to help support the students in the community. The business group, called Sandy Community Outreach, has a goal of serving the community through a variety of free events this year. Their first event on Saturday was a free seminar for students and parents to help the children of Sandy get off to a good start with the new school year. The seminar, Goal Setting for Good Grades, was aimed at helping students improve their study habits to get good grades in school this year. This was a great seminar for both parents and their children to attend together because it included super powerful tools and techniques for helping kids and parents work together to reduce stress and get great grades.
One parent who attended the seminar, Kari Ellis, said, "I thought the whole seminar was great. The best part for us was at the end when Master Brett Lechtenberg went around and asked everyone what they needed to work on or what they thought their worst subject was. It was good for them to identify it, but the best part was that he gave them some strategy to help and then looked them in the eyes and asked 'Is that something you can do?' For both of my children that was good because not only did they verbalize the problem area, but now they have a strategy for how to work on it and are also accountable because they told Master Lechtenberg they would do it."
The seminar was taught by Brett Lechtenberg of Personal Mastery Martial Arts. Brett has been doing programs for students to help them improve their goal setting and study habits for more than 17 years. At this seminar he walked students and their parents through a one hour interactive presentation. The presentation included a free workbook that the students filled out throughout the seminar and then took home with them.
The seminar covered not only different techniques and habits to develop for use in studying and listening in school, but also how to take care of your body to help you learn faster and different ways to prepare to take tests. The seminar showed students that they just needed to work smarter, not harder, and be organized when they study to help them succeed in school.
After her children came from their first day of school on Monday, Dr. Gretel Crison said, "With three boys, I need each of them to take an active role in their school responsibilities and attending the seminar showed them how to do this. They took notes themselves so they absorbed the tips, and today on the first day of school, they were planning out how and when they were going to be doing homework. Juno even asked Tom to turn off his video game so he could concentrate! Now that makes me happy!"
This event was organized and sponsored by Sandy Community Outreach. For information about other free, upcoming events and tickets to attend upcoming events just visit any of the following businesses:
- Graystone Mortgage: 1966 East 6200 South, Salt Lake City - (801) 274-7400
- Utah Lending Professionals: 6200 South 1966 East, Salt Lake City - (801) 860-1443
- Discover Card
- Children's Academy: 6910 South Highland Drive, Sandy - (801) 943-4454
- Expo Foods: 1245 East 9400 South, Sandy - (801) 231-0739
- iHouse - (801) 898-6535
- Kid-to-Kid: 1955 East 4800 South, Holladay - (801) 273-0282
- Clark Harvey with Eagle Home Mortgage: 6955 Union Park Avenue #160, Cottonwood Heights - (801) 557-8540
- Luce Chiropractic: 3630 W. South Jordan Parkway, South Jordan - (801) 254-1811
- Bee Smooth Skin Care: 1632 Cobblestone Village Circle, Sandy - (801) 597-2257
- La Petite Academy of Sandy, UT: 11347 South 1000 East, Sandy - (877) 861-5078
- Merrill's Musik Garten: 8661 S. Highland Drive, Sandy - (801) 230-1039
- The Garden Gate Florist: 8673 S. Highland Drive, Sandy - (801) 943-3330
- Destinations Childcare Center: 7167 Highland Dr, Sandy - (801) 944-5140
- Baggaley & Rosen CPAs Tax and Accounting Professionals: 5911 S. Fashion Blvd, Ste 200, Salt Lake City - (801) 288-1222
- Personal Mastery Martial Arts: 8665 Highland Drive, Sandy - (801) 947-1010