Long Branch, NJ (PressExposure) May 06, 2012 -- Nearly 9,000 competitors ran, jogged, walked and wheeled their way through today's 16th Annual New Jersey Marathon and Long Branch Half Marathon on a cool, crisp, breezy morning down the Shore. Jason Page, 38, of Durham, N.C. won the men's marathon in 2:33:13, while Megan DiGregorio, 24, of White Marsh, Md., running in her first marathon ever, took the women's first place medal at 3:00:44. Samuel Spencer, 50, of Brick, N.J., won the wheel competition, covering the 26.2 miles in 1:45:51. The New Jersey Marathon course wound its way through eight New Jersey shore towns in all, including the start at Monmouth Park in Oceanport, to Monmouth Beach, Deal, Allenhurst, Lock Arbour, Asbury Park, Ocean Grove and the finish along the Long Branch Promenade.
The Long Branch Half Marathon was won by Sean Stevens, 28, (men) of New York (1:14:58), Bronawyn O'Leary, 36, (women) of Cliffwood Beach, N.J. (1:26:24) and Celso Seabra, 38 (wheel) of Elizabeth, N.J. (1:15:59). O'Leary was The New Jersey Marathon winner in 2011.
"I was a little unfamiliar with the course," said Page, competing in The New Jersey Marathon for the first time and a late addition to his running schedule. "The wind was strong in the second half of the course, but the crowd and volunteer support was great and really helped me."
"I have been a middle distance runner and miler, and I thought I'd try to move to the marathon," said DiGregorio. "I felt good, and I never hit the wall. I was in around sixth place at mile 20 and just kept going."
More than 6,300 competed in the Long Branch Half Marathon and more than 2,300 ran The New Jersey Marathon. Many participated on behalf of dozens of charities throughout the state and the country, raising thousands of dollars.
The New Jersey Marathon is administered by US Road Sports & Entertainment Group, which conducts road races nationwide, including the Allstate 13.1 Marathon® Series.
Major sponsors of the New Jersey Marathon include Barnabas Health, Investors Bank and United Healthcare.
For full results visit http://www.njmarathon.org.
2012 New Jersey Marathon and Long Branch Half Marathon
May 6, 2012
The New Jersey Marathon 26.2 miles
1. Jason Page, Durham, N.C., 2:33:13
2. Bennet H Gg, Joenkoeping, Sweden, 2:33:59
3. Joshua Korth, New York, 2:38:33
4. John Reuland, Princeton, N.J., 2:40:17
5. James Register, Middletown, N.J., 2:44:05
1. Megan DiGregorio, White Marsh, Md., 3:00:44
2. Elisabeth Drew, Warren, N.J., 3:02:25
3. Amy Maier, Philadelphia, 3:04:42
4. Kelly Gillen, New York, 3:04:44
5. Jennifer Sober, Deep Creek Lake, Md., 3:07:49
1. Samuel Spencer, Brick, N.J., 1:45:51
2. Tyler Warren, Walden, N.Y., 2:14:13
3. Richard Airey, Point Pleasant, N.J., 3:06:43
Long Branch Half Marathon 13.1 miles
1. Sean Stevens, New York, 1:14:58
2. Cliff Gerber, East Brunswick, N.J., 1:15:52
3. Felix Olivo, Carteret, N.J., 1:18:09
4. Tim Seeley, Lansdale, Pa., 1:18:29
5. Josh Maio, New York, 1:20:24
1. Bronawyn O'Leary, Cliffwood Beach, N.J., 1:26:24
2. Danielle Kays, Bel Air, Md., 1:26:30
3. Sarah Graham, Princeton, N.J., 1:26:35
4. Caitlin Dorgan, Red Bank, N.J., 1:26:39
5. Dactilia Booth, Long Branch, N.J., 1:28:09
1. Celso Seabra, Elizabeth, N.J., 1:15:59
2. Mike Luciano, Edison, N.J., 1:24:08
3. Tim Rehm, Tinton Falls, N.J., 1:38:11