In this article, we will talk about a hearty bowl of vegetable chop suey that combines starch-thickened spicy sauce and a whole lot of mixed vegetables. It goes best with tofu and rice noodles. This recipe is gluten-free and best for a wholesome lunch or dinner for people who are on a gluten-free diet. This is also a perfect meal for vegans as it does not contain dairy and is ready in 25 minutes.
1. A hearty bowl of vegetable chop suey;
The recipe we are going to share in this article is a hearty bowl of vegetable chop suey. It is not only a comfort food but has many nutritional values and most importantly, it tastes delicious. A slightly savory brown sauce is needed to cook this dish. The combination of thick sauce and vegetables makes it the best comfort food.
This recipe contains a spicy brown savory sauce with a thickened consistency and lots of fresh vegetables. It can be made out of simple pantry staples and you don’t have to get a lot of extra things from the market. The best thing about this dish is that it can be made within 20 minutes and is perfect for a last-minute midweek meal.
I prefer to use whatever is in hand like crispy noodles, rice, or anything available at home. You can use the sides of your choice. This gluten-free delicious vegetable chop suey is comforting, versatile, and wholesome for you and your family.
2. What is chop suey?
Chop suey is a very popular American Chinese dish usually made up of meat, eggs, and vegetables with a thick, savory sauce. The sauce often contains soy sauce, stock, and oyster sauce. Once the chop suey is cooked you can serve it with rice or noodles.
This particular recipe is vegan and no meat or dairy is used in it. It is not only a vegan recipe but also gluten-free. so, people on a gluten-free diet can try out this delicious comfort food for their lunch or dinner.
3. Ingredients for vegetable chop suey;
To make a bowl of vegetable chop suey or any chop suey, the foremost thing is to make the savory sauce. Then you have to cook the vegetables in that thick brown sauce.
3.1. What do we need to make the chop suey sauce?
- You need some vegetable broth for the sauce. You can use any broth of your choice.
- Soy sauce is generally used in chop suey recipes. But if you’re on a gluten-free diet then you can replace soy sauce with tamari or coconut aminos.
- A little bit of rice vinegar is needed to add depth. Chinese cooking oil can be used as an alternative to rice vinegar.
- Cornstarch is a very important element of this sauce. It adds a thick consistency to the sauce. Potato starch or arrowroot can also be used.
- Seasonings like chili flakes, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper are needed to adjust the taste.
3.2. Vegetables needed for the recipe
- Snow peas
- Red bell pepper
- Orange bell pepper
- Green bell pepper
- Any type of cabbage
- Bean sprouts
1.3. Other ingredients for vegetable chop suey;
- You can use any neutral cooking oil of your choice. Some prefer to add a bit of sesame oil which I don’t recommend as it has a pungent flavor that may hamper the balance of flavors in the recipe.
- If you want to add some protein you can go for tempeh or fried tofu but this is not mandatory. If you’re not a vegan you can use the meat of your choice as well.
- Lastly, you need to serve the chop suey with some carbs like cooked rice or noodles.
4. How to cook vegetable chop suey?
- Cook the rice or noodles which will be needed when you serve the chop suey. Along with this, you can also cook the protein of your choice which you might want to add to the dish.
- Heat some oil in a wok and add the onion and carrot. Saute these two vegetables for 2 minutes then add the snow peas, celery, and bell pepper, and stir. Then add the cabbage and fry all the vegetables for 5 minutes till they become slightly tender.
- Now add the ginger, garlic, and sprouts to the vegetable mixture and stir fry for another couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a bowl and stirring with a whisk so that it blends perfectly.
- Now pour the sauce into the wok. Stir and bring it to a simmer. Now cook for one minute and turn off the heat. The vegetable chop suey is now ready. You can serve this with rice or noodles which you have already made. Garnish with some green onion and enjoy the hearty meal.
Read More: Details about 80s punk fashion;